Choosing the Right Battery for the Job
A vaporiser is made up of multiple components that need to be regularly maintained and replaced to ensure that it provides quality performance and great tasting flavour. One of the most crucial parts of a vaporiser is its battery.
Buying a vape battery
Some vapes have an internal battery sealed inside which cannot be replaced, if these die out from overuse then you will need to purchase a new vape mod.
Other vapes/mods have removable batteries. When choosing a battery or batteries, you need to know the right features to look for to suit your vaping preferences and kit’s build. Listed below are some of the categories that you need to take note of when buying a vape battery:
- Size: The most common battery size is an 18650, most vapes take this size and as it is the smaller size option other vapes that take the larger batteries will usually also come with an adaptor so that you can use 18650s in place of the larger 20700 or 21700 batteries.
- Capacity: This determines how long a battery will last until it has to be charged again. Described as mAh (milliamp hours). A 2500mAh battery is considered a standard capacity but the higher the mAh the longer the battery will hold charge. Larger batteries like the 20700 and 21700 naturally have a higher capacity so will last longer although there are less options for vapes that can take that size battery.
- Voltage: Higher voltages will give you a higher volume of vapour due to the currents sent to your vape coil to create an enhanced experience for the vaper. Different batteries can run at different voltages even if it delivers the same amount of current, which make its capacity the determining factor in choosing between high voltage batteries.
- Operating temperature: A battery’s operating temperature determines how long it can last until it’s replaced. The lower it is, the longer its shelf life will be. A higher temperature rating can cause premature aging or gradual damage to your battery’s performance.
- Current rating: Vaporisers have an ideal current rating that makes it work its best without overheating. The higher the current rating is, the higher temperature of heat is produced. You should also take note that the greater a battery’s current rating is, the lower its usage time will be.
**the above guide is intended to assist beginners in choosing a battery for their regulated devices - it is not intended as a guide for those customers who are looking to choose batteries for a mechanical mod.
Understanding proper vape battery care
Vaping technology is continuously evolving with newer kits and components to optimise its functions. However, just like any battery-powered device, its power cell can become a dangerous explosive when mishandled. Vape batteries are usually classified as either disposable or removable batteries.
It is imperative that you regularly check your batteries for any damage. If there are any tears or rips in the plastic wrap of the battery then it needs to be re-wrapped. In Western Australia the brick and mortar vape shops offer this service to their customers free of charge.
If there are dents in the battery, if the insulator ring at the top of the battery is melted or burnt, if the battery has discharged or if it is rusty, then you need to discontinue use of that battery and replace it. If you are running a dual battery mod, your batteries should be used in ‘married’ pairs so it is best to replace them both at that time.
When you are traveling with your batteries, you need to ensure you keep your batteries in a proper battery case. They can not be transported loosely where they could come in to contact with metal objects. This could cause then to vent in your pocket/bag and catch fire.
Some vape kits have batteries that are sealed with the devices, which make them disposable batteries that have a lifespan of 2 to 3 years at most. Although they have a longer lifespan, they are unusable once they are mishandled. Make sure to keep it away from direct sunlight and flammable materials. You should also remember to use the right charging device with the right power output so that it won’t overheat and damage your battery.
Buying a vape is a cost-effective investment since it can last for a long time with the right care and maintenance. The best way to extend your vapes shelf life is by being informed about the different habits and practices in keeping the components of your vape mods well-maintained and in working order.
At Wild West Vapers, we provide the latest brands of vape batteries, e-liquids, vape tanks, and vape coils to help you in maintaining your vape build. Purchase your vape’s components from our site today and enjoy the experience it offers!